Balloon Molly eggs??? PreviousNext
Give us a Home > Fish >
Message/Author
Next message quick posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 7:10 pm
My balloon molly has just laid what look like 6 greenish, jelly like eggs. I think that they are live bearers so has anyone any idea what they could be?
Next message Anonymous posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 3:07 pm
can't be mollies are live bearers
Next message Ashley Rogers posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 5:36 pm
Well actually anonymous is only half right. Mollies usally have live fry but sometimes, when the molly is stressed she will have birth prematurly and that is a problem. Try not to stress your molly. Just make sure that when the fry are born the correct way you put them in a breeding net so the mom or ofther fish don't eat them. Trust me your molly will have some fry again in 1 1/2-2 months
Next message Anonymous posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 3:24 pm
maybe they're stillborns or unfertilised eggs that didnt have the chance to develop
Next message 3905 posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 5:13 am
balloon m0lly do not lay eggs.
Next message eve posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 5:33 am
If your molly dos have babys agen you shod put tham in a fry net and feed tham a lot it will mack tham grow a lot faster and pot a palnt or two in the net it will mack tham feel safer.
Next message cinna posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 6:12 am
I have a balloon molly, I think i've had him/her for about 5-6 months. I noticed tonight that it looks like she could be pregnant due to a larger belly and the dark area by the back fin...
I am confused since she is the only molly in my tank. I have guppies that are breeding, neons, catfish, a gourami....how could this be, or is it something else????
Her belly looks a lot like my guppy momma-fishes belly when shes pregnant.
I dont know a lot about fish, do they have a 'vagina' type?
Next message Veronica (cache-rtc-ab01.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.100.65) posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 5:27 am
Hi, I was told that the female can store sperm for several weeks and become pregnant without a male available.

My female balloon molly just had babies. Along with the live ones there were several yellow like eggs. These were undeveloped babies.
Next message Sarah (midd-cache-7.server.ntli.net - 62.254.64.18) posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 11:51 pm
Hi, i also have some balloon molly's, one of them keeps hiding in the plants near the filter. i'm not sure if it has already had babies or is about to, and also not sure how you can tell iff they are male/female. does anyone know?
Next message heather (82-34-89-154.cable.ubr05.gill.blueyonder.co.uk - 82.34.89.154) posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 9:19 pm
i have got two balloon mollies and one had babies this morning i could only save two of them as the other fish ate the others she is still very swollon at the back and very dark she keeps losing a dark fluid from her back partand keeps going a poo or whatlooks like poo all the time she really goes mad trying to shake it off any sugestions will help or ay advice thanks
Next message sally smith (86.133.171.139) posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:43 pm
my molly had babies and then died a minute later
Next message pual fatty (86.133.171.139) posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:46 pm
balloon mollies think that there babies are free swimming tasty snakes, and will eat them like a treat. a molly can eat around 50 babies and still be hungry
Next message john griffith (86.133.171.139) posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:50 pm
i have a ballon molly called dumplin because she is fat and round she has two babys that are both female and follow her around the tank now they are too big to be eaten up
Next message Emily (24.247.95.14) posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:04 pm
My mollys just had babies but i don't know what one of my mollies had them because i had a dalmation molly and a red dalmation molly and there both pregant any way to tell what kind the fry is?
Next message poop75248 (24.239.110.205) posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:05 am
Sometimes live bearers give birth prematurly.
Next message ells (83.100.250.34) posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 9:36 pm
i bought a balloon molly from the pet shop to put in with my two platy. a few days later she gave birth to nine babies, i put these into a seperate baby net, then a few days later i found that my two platy were infact male and female as the female gave birth to twenty babies. the mother died a few weeks later along with some babies and so now i have an adult male platy (9 babie platy), a female adult molly (9 babie ballon molly). i`v found a clump of eggs on the side of my tank but both platy and molly are live bearers and so im a little baffled?, were have they come from?
Next message purplebutterflyhippie04 (63.163.136.90) posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:38 am
I have 3 dalmation mollie 1 male and 2 females. I thougt that the females were pregaent and I put in my tank divider because the male was picking on them bad and I didn't wnat them to get over stressed. But I can't really tell if they are or not. I thought they looked bigger but after I moved them nothing happened. The male has been picking on my females for a very long time. How can I tell if they are pregaent? I thought I knew but I guess I didn't.

I was hoping that they would be. I am new to breeding and I just had a guppy drop fry.
Next message molly (87.114.26.36) posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:14 pm
my ballon molly just had babys,I managed to catch 3, put the mother in a breeding tank, then she laid 5 green eggs and 1 hour later she died. Any one knows why?
Next message Emily G (12.201.34.116) posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 11:13 pm
I just got 3 balloon mollies. Then 3 babies appeared in the tank. Two died, and I've got the other one in a breeder net. I don't know which fish had them, and if they're done or not? Any one know?
Next message PHILIP WOOD (82.38.130.245) posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 8:38 pm
I HAVE 2 SILVER BALLOON MOLLIES BOTH FEMAIL AND THEY KEEP TURN BLACK ROUND THE GILLS AND FACE AREA
Next message confused (144.136.27.60) posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 8:31 am
i gave a fish tank and its about 9-10 gallons i dont hav fish in it YET i've only every had 2 goldfish before that died and i want to get either mollies or guppys and im leaning on the side of mollies! but i dont want to buy another tank but i want them to have babies how many babies do mollys have and how many survive??
Next message here 2 help (144.136.27.60) posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 11:14 am
PHILIP WOOD....if ur fish are turnin black around the back it might b pregnant and mayb becoz it is stressed the babies died
Next message Emily G (12.201.34.116) posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 2:30 am
I have balloon mollies, but I can't tell if they're male or female?? Anybody know??
Next message Ashley F (24.226.105.236) posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 7:24 pm
Hello, I purchased a male sailfin mollie and a female dalmation mollie and I put them in a cycled 10 gallon with normal readings and then my friend wanted to give me 2 female orange balloon mollies so I took them an awoke to fry in the moring there were 4 and 2 got eaten. Then I awoke to the male dead on the bottom of the tank looking bent. Now I am not sure why he died or if the females killed him but I have an orange balloon mollie that almost looks see through at the back and I think she is about to have babies she is hiding all the time and pooping a dark black. As well as would they kill the male?
Next message Taylor Harrington (24.4.48.129) posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:23 pm
O.k there is this whole thingy in the bottom of my tank were the cleaning tube goes well that came out and now my female guppy always goes down there and either there are babies down there or eggs I AM CLULESS! help me please if u have any answers please contact me at luvergurl317@hotmail.com thank you

Taylor
Next message Caprice (220.235.22.125) posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:52 am
Hi, I Have read on the net that mollies need brackish water with salt added to breed successfully this is not true. I have a five foot tank and added mollies to it only weeks ago I already have five babies that are doing really well and are just over an inch long, and about 20 other babies of differing size.Ihave polished stone in the base of my tank which gives the fry somewhere to hide. The only feed they get is crushed flakes , the adults also are given pieces of spinach to nibble on . Hope this helps all you molly breeders.
Next message lovelyfishy (65.71.92.80) posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 4:31 am
Females have a fin that sticks out like a fan, males have a tubular fin that is close to his body.
Next message Maximum (68.44.72.104) posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:33 am
Hi everyone! it seems there are a lot of questions that no one responded to, so i am going to try to help some of you out.

*Mollies sometimes lay eggs during birth. in my experience they are all yellow, but i can imagine they can be greenish, too. Especially if you didn't notice them right away, their color could have changed a little. These eggs were either unfertalized during conception or died during development. they are not going to hatch, sadly.

*Female Mollies can supposedly store sperm for 5 or 6 months and become pregnant from it when they feel comfertable and unstressed. this can explain some of the mysterious pregnancies.

*While the female prepares to give birth, she might start to shake and sort of swim in place. this is a sign she is trying to go into labor, but she can actually start doing that a week or two before birth. this is a good sign to put her in a secluded area.

*BREEDER NET INFO: i have just purchased this AWESOME breeder container made by Marina. it is clear, and it has a section for the mother on the top and a section for the babies on the bottom. the mother gives birth and the babies fall down into the bottom chamber. it works EXCELLENTLY and i recommend it completely. it allows you to leave the mom in there without worrying about them becomeing snacks and with out worrying that she hasnt completed giving birth.

*you should keep the mother in the secluded area for at least 24 hours. my female balloon started having her babies at around 11:00 at night, and when i went to bed she had already had 32 fry and about 7 eggs. when i woke up at 7:00 in the morning, there werent any more babies. i just left her in there until night time to be sure.

*MALE OR FEMALE? females have three fins under their belly close to their tail that look similar to the ones that almost every fish have. the two fins that are paralell to each other Males have longer fins on their back and the fin under their tail is pointed and points backwards towards the rear tail. he may stick this fin towards females when he wants to mate.

*Mollies fo not need to be in brakish water. I believe they can be in either fresh, brakish or even salt water, but i am not entirely sure about the salt water. i know that they are supposed to do better in water with a little bit of salt, but my tank has no salt in it and my balloons are perfectly healthy.

If any one has any more questions you can type them in, i will check up on this website in a week or so. =D
Next message Doug (71.201.167.197) posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 3:46 am
What do you feed balloon mollies?
Next message Bob (66.57.88.213) posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 2:29 pm
i got a bolloon molly yesterday, and he died the next morning. she was in labor, and she must of busted. do many do that???
i got a male today and so far he is doing fine. i named him Squirt Jr. after Squirt who died. hes orange
Next message mollylove223 (69.169.17.148) posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:02 am
hi
i bought i pregnant dalmation molly at the pet store and the guy who sold it to me said it will need a male molly. is that true? becuase the other sites say that once the female is pregnant, the male is not needed anymore. and when the babies are born, will the mommy molly eat them right away if seh is hungry, or will she swim away and try to eat them later.
Next message elly (69.169.17.148) posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 5:12 am
hello??
i have a dalmation molly and she doesnt seem to be giving signs of giving birth..but she looks very round and plump...any help?
how long will dalmation mollies be pregnant?
Next message Elaine Cox (62.255.32.9) posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 6:27 pm
My mollies appear pregnant and have done for an age, no signs of babies yet. Any clues?!?
Next message elly (69.169.17.148) posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 6:34 pm
hi
my mommy molly gave birth yesterdaybut when i came home that night...only two babies were alive and all the other babies were dead. the mom also had laid a fwew yellowish looking eggs...arent mollies livebearers?
and also...the mom died the next morning and one of the babies had died...agian ]; anyone knows what the matter is?

oh..and the mommy molly's right fin looked very white and fluffy and she couldnt use it to swim and her sclaes and body was prety usted..could this be ich?
Next message elly (69.169.17.148) posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 6:35 pm
i meant busted instead of usted
Next message Ldyer1985 (Ldyer1985) posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:28 am
Hi, please can someone help me. I have had my balloon Mollys about a week now, and on the 2nd nite my grey balloon molly gave birth to a few babies, so I put her in a breeding tank and left her overnight when I woke up in the morning she had another 11. I have now taken her out and the babies look fine, but I;m confused about how long you have to keep them away from the other fish, they are about 5 days old and they do not look like they are growing at all. Please can someone tell me how long you have to keep the babies in the breeding tank.

Thanks
Next message Banana_girl (Banana_girl) posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 7:47 pm
if u feed them 3 times a day with crushed food and increase the temp only a little they will grow faster. u can let them out when they r i nc long. mine took 3 months but i think i had them in there too long cos i was un sure, but about 2-3 months
i hope that answers ur question.
Next message Banana_girl (Banana_girl) posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 7:48 pm
i ment 1 inch
Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action: